The Australian Women's Weekly Cookbook
Casseroles Delicious One-Pot Wonders
1.5kg beef chuck steak, chopped coarsely
2 medium red capsicums (400g), chopped finely
2 medium brown onions (300g), chopped finely
½ cup (125ml) beef stock
½ cup (125ml) coconut milk
1 cinnamon stick
5 tablespoons curry powder
1/3 cup (80ml) white vinegar
2 small fresh red chillies, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 cardamom pods, crushed
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Preparation time 20 minutes (plus marinating time), cooking time 2 hours
1. Combine beef and marinate in large bowl, mix well. Cover, refrigerate several hours or overnight.
2. Heat half of the ghee in large saucepan, cook beef in batches, stirring until browned. Removed from pan.
3. Heat remaining ghee is same pan, cook capsicum and onion, stirring until onion is soft.
4. Return beef to pan, add stock, coconut milk, cinnamon and carry. Simmer, covered 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove cover, simmer about 30 minutes or until beef is tender. Discard cinnamon stick, stir in coriander.
6. Serve with steamed or boiled rice, if desired.
Marinade: combine ingredients in large bowl, mix well.